Monday, March 17, 2008

Blueray is the winner

The decision is made: Blueray will be the new DVD standard and HD-DVD is history. As a first consequence most Blueray players are sold out immediately. So I had a limited choice and bought a Sony BDP-S300. The good thing about this particular player is that it upconverts 'normal' DVD up to 1080p resolution (the best you can have with your TV or projector these days). So its "Blueray time"! Well, for me that means I bought one single Blueray DVD for calibration and reference purposes ("The Fifth Element" - a great movie!). I have this movie already in the standard DVD (460p bitstream) version and so I can play the two with my Lexicon RT-10 DVD player and the new Blueray Sony side-by-side. My first impressions are that the picture is more detailed with Blueray (I can project 720p of the 1080presolution of the Blueray disk with my "old" Yamaha DPX-1000 projector.) than with the standard DVD. Also the contrast is increased which makes 'black' more black and 'white' more white. With this difference the picture becomes less soft and color-detailed (or less 'movie-like'). Maybe this can be tweaked with the settings of the new player, but I prefer the 'old' DVD tone of the picture more. The same difference can be observed with upconverted DVDs on the Sony vs. th Lexicon player. So the picture 'liking'is a question of what the viewer prefers: detail resolution or natural color tones.
Another clear difference between the two players is the sound. Here is the ten-times more expensive Lexicon as a high-end player the clear 'winner' over the Sony. Again, this is a first impression after two movies and I may not have optimized thge settings and cables, but the sound difference is very audibel. Another point is that the Lexicon but not the Sony can play two- and multi-channel SACDs and HD-Audio CDs. So the Blueray player is not a replacement for the Lexicon at this time. So, I will watch some more and compare the the two systems. Maybe some of you can help and join me for a movie. By the way, I will obtain my Blueray movies through my Netflix subscription and will not buy a new collection of disks in yet another format to be replaced by something 'better' in the future.

No comments: